The Bedford Castle mound is located in the county of Bedfordshire. It was originally formed by an ancient Norman castle that was built by Hugh de Beauchamp, who was the Lord of the Manor, around 1140. The mound was never converted into a motte and bailey castle. The mound is therefore simple in terms of design and shape.
The castle was built of stone and flint and was of a rectangular shape. It stood on an artificial spur of gravel that projects from the hillside. The south side of the site is adjacent to a large flat plateau. The mound would have been surrounded by multiple ditches and banks; its upper part appears to be earthwork, but it is very dilapidated and may well be partly composed of stone.
It is currently privately owned, and no public access is possible without permission from the owner. This site was scheduled as an ancient monument in 1957; it has been a Listed Building since 1966 and was designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest in 1977. It was also added to the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England in 1988.
The Bedford Castle Mound is a Scheduled Monument and located in Bedford, England. Construction of the monument began in the tenth century and ended around AD 950.
Bedford Castle Mound is a scheduled monument located in Bedford, England. The mound was built over 900 years ago and contains the remains of much older Anglo-Saxon burials from 400 AD. There are few examples of such great age remaining in this country (England). This site has been designated as a scheduled monument because it has more than archaeological importance- there are also historical features on the site that contribute to its significance.
Bedford Castle Mound is a mound in Bedford, which was discovered during the mid 19th century. The mound is a scheduled ancient monument and has been excavated several times. Although it is not very well known, archaeologists have discovered a number of important artefacts from the Bronze Age and Iron Age.